April 19, 2012

Makeup Wishlist

A couple weeks ago, I bought my first Ikea Helmer while in Orlando to see my favorite band (for my birthday!). So I reorganized my nail polishes & makeup into it, and realized something... I just never touch my makeup stash. Don't get me wrong, I do wear makeup - but I wear almost the same thing daily. I have a little train case I keep under my bathroom sink, with my everyday makeup (including my Naked palette, so I do switch up eyeshadows! but nothing else, haha). So, why don't I ever use the Helmer-full drawer of makeup?

Because it doesn't inspire me. Let me sidetrack for a moment... I find every way in my life to save money, because honestly the more I save the more I get to buy! When it comes to groceries, I see no difference in the store brand and the national brand. I could care less.. when it comes to clothes, I do love outlet stores and places like Old Navy and Target, because I love to save money but also get cool prints and patterns since my tastes change a lot (and my size is still fluctuating post-pregnancy, so I don't need to invest in jeans or wardrobe staples). But makeup? Well, I find myself wanting to buy drugstore brands, especially if they get great reviews, and I can also coupon and save a few more bucks. But then I am always disappointed... sorry, but the quality is just not there. Or I hate the packaging - seriously, pretty packaging has a huge impact on me and whether I want to use a product. And more importantly, at least with foundation, I can never find my shade! I am pale, really pale, and so far not a single drugstore brand makes a color light enough for me. My first high end foundation I bought (for the wedding), Make Up For Ever HD, is the perfect shade & color!

So what does that mean? Well, why am I hanging on to makeup I don't enjoy or use? And why am I cheating myself out of products I'd love? I am not the kind of person who needs a million options, I do stick to the basic staples when it comes to clothes and makeup. Too many choices and I feel overwhelmed (funny though, I'm not that way with nail polish!) but a few basic options, like peach & a pink blush, light & medium coverage foundations, as well as getting better quality brushes (my EcoTools and ELF brushes could use being upgraded). I'm going to start slowly purging my drugstore stash - if something really does get used and I like it, it stays (I won't throw things out just because they aren't high end). And some things may find a better home elsewhere, depending on how much I've used them and the condition they're in. But in the meantime, I've been picking out some things I want to add to my stash:

Urban Decay Naked 2 Palette
Some people may not agree with getting the Naked 2 or the the Build Your Own palettes from Urban Decay, but I have my reasons. I've seen the Naked 2 in person, and I love the colors. I feel I'd get a lot of use out of them, since I wear neutrals, browns, greiges, daily. I rarely wear colorful eyeshadow anymore; it's just not my thing. As for the Build Your Own, I know some don't think it's a good investment since you can get more eyeshadows in a pre-made palette for less money, but I would love to be able to get some of the individual shadows that don't come in palettes, or are in palettes I don't want to invest in. I don't want to buy MAC products or other palettes, because I don't feel drawn to them - I LOVE Urban Decay's packaging, and style, and every product I've tried by them, so I'll stick to them (mostly) for my eyes! And for the sake of sharing, a few of the eyeshadows i have my eye on (haha) are Mushroom, Hijack (the word "teal" sells me), Twice Baked, and S&M (if only for the name). I also need to invest in full sizes/extras of my new favorite Urban Decay products - the 24/7 concealer in CIA, Supercurl Curling Mascara, and All Nighter makeup setting spray. All of these I love!

I already own Benefit's "Thrrrob" blush, and i love it. I wear it every single day that I wear makeup, and after 2 years I haven't even hit pan. That is amazing, if you ask me! (I know I only wear makeup 2-3x a week, but still!) So I'd love to buy a few more of Benefit's blushes, such as Coralista (pictured above). Another product I'd love to get is their Eye Bright pencil, because it always gets great reviews - and let's face it, I'm a mom and don't always get a lot of sleep, I could use a little eye brightening!

Yes, yes, another palette. But I already own the Too Faced Natural Eye palette, and I love it. The color payoff is EXCELLENT, I'd say it's better than my Naked palette. So I'd love to add the Naked Eye palette to my collection, because how many neutrals can one person own, right?
Yeah, I know, fragrances aren't makeup. But as of right now, the only perfumes I own are the blue Ralph Lauren one (I've loved it since I was 17, when N bought it for me) and also Coco Madamoiselle by Chanel (I think that's the right name) it smells super-old-ladyish but it's one of the few perfumes that N loves, and I do too! However, when we  were in Savannah, I smelled the Tocca perfumes at the Paris Market, and I love almost all of them. I'd have to smell them again in-person, but I'm pretty sure the ones in the mini-set Eau De Parfum Viaggio were my faves! I also smelled the Benefit perfumes (like Laugh With Me Lee Lee) when I stopped at Ulta in Savannah, and I loved most of them, so I'd love to find a favorite and pick it up, just for a little nose-break from the same 2 perfumes!

And there you have it, my mostly-makeup wishlist for the coming months. The hardest part is that I love to buy things one-at-a-time, but the nearest Sephora is actually a Sephora in JCPenney (which doesn't carry as many products) and it's also an hour away, ugh. So this will be a slow process, but I look forward to being inspired to wear makeup and feel good about myself. Especially since makeup always fits, but clothes may not :)

No comments:

Post a Comment